Can you afford Staff Benefits? – II
This is a continuation of the post Can you afford Staff Benefits. This edition will feature some of the top benefits in the restaurant industry.
What kind of Benefits have you received?
Some of the top restaurant benefits in North America are offered by Earl’s, The Cheesecake Factory and restaurant group, Darden Restaurants (i.e. Red Lobster, Oliver Garden).
Here is a list of some of their main benefits:
Supervisory / Management Position – Earl’s
- Annual golf events
- Conferences and meetings
- Trips to New York, Amsterdam or Brussels (every second year)
General Manager – The Cheesecake Factory
Locations: United States and Hawaii
- A company- leased BMW
- Management Equity Program: no cash investment required, company-sponsored. General Managers can earn up to $1.5 million in the program
- 5-day work week; 2 consecutive days off
- Performance based stock options
- 401(k) with company contribution
- Health insurance, dental coverage, prescription plan and vision
- Salary up to $125,000 per year
General Manager – Olive Garden (Darden Restaurants)
Locations: Canada and United States
- Medical, dental and orthodontia and Vision coverage
- Prescription drug program
- Life & accident insurance
- Paid vacation (1 week after 3 months of training)
- Profit sharing savings plan / retirement program
- 25% meal discount in any Darden Restaurant concept
- 15% stock purchase discount
- Access to network of qualified lawyers for legal advice
- Employee assistance program
- Student loan program
- Childcare center discounts
These companies represent some the most generous benefits you can find within the restaurant industry. Few restaurants are able to match these benefits due to their size. However, all restaurants have the capability at some point in their operation to offer a benefit package. The question is: Are you willing to pay money to improve the quality of work and life of your restaurant?
I have worked in several restaurants and have received various benefits but nothing compared to the benefits listed above. I am curious to see what kind of unique staff benefits you have received in your past or current job?